deadline: monday may 12th, 2014
i am so fortunate to be working at one of the most amazing places - The Jefferson County Open School - in Lakewood Colorado. i am inspired on a daily basis by the community of students and coworkers in their commitments to challenging and pursuing and greater quality of self through learning.
one of my students is currently working on what is called a logical inquiry passage and needs your help. will you please take a moment to read this request and answer the 10 questions.
you can email the answers to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
as always - thank you for sticking around.
My logical study
Why is there discrimination within the gay community? We are a group fighting for equal rights and fighting for acceptance, yet we can’t accept certain groups of people in our community. The groups that are facing the most stigma are transgendered and bisexual people and I am trying to find out why.
Is it because we are a monosexual culture?
Is it Inner homophobia?
The need to be a dominant sexual orientation?
Is it that we have a narrow view of sexuality?
Or are we just uneducated and unaware of how these people feel and are going through?
These are some answers that I have come up with but I want to know what the community thinks about the topic.
I am doing this survey so that I can gather data and write a scientific report about it for my logical inquire passage that I must do in order to graduate from my school. Although it is not the only reason, I am very curious about the topic because I have witnessed this discrimination and I am also guilty of feeling a bit of stigma toward other groups of people in our community despite wanting to have an open mind. So if you would please take a moment to answer these questions it would be much appreciated.
1. Have you witnessed discrimination towards a trans person?
a. If so did you do or say anything to help the situation?
b. Why or why not?
2. Have you witnessed discrimination towards a bisexual person?
a.If so did you do or say anything to help the situation?
b.Why or why not?
3. Do you believe trans people should get the same rights and acceptance that gays and lesbians are fighting for? Why?
4. Do you believe you have an understanding about why trans people undergo sex reassignment surgery?
5. Do you believe sexuality is fluid or set in stone? Why?
6. Do you believe we are a mono sexual culture? Why?
7. Do you believe discrimination will exist until people get used to the idea of being transgendered? Much like what happened with gays and lesbians?
8. Do you believe that the discrimination going on within the LGBT community is hurting our fight for equal rights?
9. Do you believe that if everyone in the community excepted transgendered, bisexuals, and whoever else is facing prejudice that society would also accept them?
10. Do you have any other ideas as to why this is happening in our community?